Hello, I'm Sonja and I'm addicted to photography. I fantasize about cameras, love the smell of a fresh lens just out of the box and sleep next to my camera. To be serious for a split second, I got my first camera as a gift when I was in elementary school and it planted a seed with me. Having children changed everything, I wanted to capture their special moments and re-discovered my love of photography. In 2006, I read an article on 'Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep' (www.nilmdts.org) about photographers who volunteer their talent at hospitals to give the gift of a memory to parents who lose their baby. It touched me and I knew that I wanted to do that so I started practicing with people other than my family and it turned into a business. I am still an active volunteer for the hospital and have met many angels (as we lovingly call them).
I love to laugh and see other people laugh, especially if I've said something to cause it. If I've got spare time, then I'll go to youtube and just type in "funny" or "prank" next to anything (dog, cat, whatever) and see what I come up with. If it's hilarious, then I'll usually call to my husband and/or kids to come in and watch it with me so I can see them laugh.
I've been married for 11 years, which is like 50 in celebrity years! My husband and I created two little monkeys (boys) that make us smile every day. We've spent most of our lives in the Tri-City, WA area and love it here. I want to say we'll never move, but don't want to jinx myself - we never know what the future brings.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you really sleep next to a camera? Yes. Maybe. Why do you ask?
- What's your favorite flavor of ice cream? Anything with chunks of yumminess (is that a word?)... cookies, mints, fudge, etc.
- What is your favorite thing to photograph? Anything crazy and different! Photographing my flour dancers was amazing, underwater fashion photography, playing with steel wool in the dark, thinking up my next scheme.... it's what makes photography so fun for me.
- What do you like to do for fun besides play with your camera? I love to travel. An awesome day for me would be to just jump in my car and take a road trip to Seattle. I love big cities, but only for visits - I'd never want to live there.
- Do you have a facebook page? Why yes, I do! Look up Photos by Sonja, I'd love it if you'd "like" it.
- What's your favorite joke? Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?". The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"